Web programming tools

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Sat May 3 23:20:01 EDT 2003

> Just out of interest:
>
> What types of applications would people run inside a browser if there was
> a MC plugin?
> How many websites actually used SuperCard's roadster? What were the
> limitations of Roadster, and why didn't it satiate the need for a Windows
> version of SC?

Personally I think I'm with Richard and would prefer (given the relative
simplicity of implementing it) a player rather than in browser plugin. Many
of the web based applications that you would use this for actually open up
another broswer window with no browser buttons. I'm fine with another window
opening as long as most users wouldn't know if it's a browser window or not.
Having a plugin would result in extra coding to handle back, forward buttons
etc. There's nothing worse than clicking back in a flash application and
going to the previous web page rather than the previous flash screen.

If the helper app downloads were managed by RunRev, included the rev
libraries and the install and setup as a helper app was easy for users it
would be great. If it also offered an alternative Java WebStart type
interface and offline browsing that would be neat too. I don't think th 1MB
download would be so bad if it were "You need the Revolution Player ro run
this" rather than "You need my custom player to run this".

How long would it take before we start delivering content to users that
already have the player? Do we have enough development power to get players
installed on a decent percentage of machines?

Things to ponder

Cheers

Monte