Web programming tools

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 3 19:45:00 EDT 2003

Dan Shafer wrote:

> Richard, it would, IMNSHO, be far better to get MC/RR to expend a relatively
> small amount of energy and figure out how to make the installation of MC/RR as
> a helper app in the browser as automatic as possible. As it is, I think a user
> who wants to use stacks would have to:
>
> 1. download the app (no big deal)
> 2. Extract it (not a really big deal)
> 3. Tell his browser(s) what file types they should open using the helper app.
> (oh-oh).
>
> Unless I'm missing something, once those steps are taken, you could store a
> stack on your server, and a customer/user could navigate to it in his or her
> browser, click on the link, and it would then launch MC/RR and run outside the
> browser. that may well be acceptable, at least for some things, but I venture
> to suggest that the process is non-trivial for the unmotivated user who will
> simply move on to something that takes less time and fewer brain cells.

I think those three things have been addressed on the Rev list.  In summary,
you could have the app itself be the thing that gets downloaded (on Win; Mac
folks are more familiar with compression).  On launch it could make a
registry entry (Win) or run an AppleScript for the Internet control panel
(Mac) to associate itself with ".mc" files.