Web programming tools

Dan Shafer dan at eclecticity.com
Sat May 3 19:35:00 EDT 2003

Richard Gaskin scribed:

>As for an MC plugin, we'd need to identify the specific objections to using
>MC as a helper app to properly address them.  One of them is the perceived
>download-and-install hassle.  But if we can get folks to deal with the
>dwnload-and-install thang, we might as well use what we have right now, as
>it can do more than a plugin could and it's here today.

Richard, it would, IMNSHO, be far better to get MC/RR to expend a relatively small amount of energy and figure out how to make the installation of MC/RR as a helper app in the browser as automatic as possible. As it is, I think a user who wants to use stacks would have to:

1. download the app (no big deal)
2. Extract it (not a really big deal)
3. Tell his browser(s) what file types they should open using the helper app. (oh-oh).

Unless I'm missing something, once those steps are taken, you could store a stack on your server, and a customer/user could navigate to it in his or her browser, click on the link, and it would then launch MC/RR and run outside the browser. that may well be acceptable, at least for some things, but I venture to suggest that the process is non-trivial for the unmotivated user who will simply move on to something that takes less time and fewer brain cells.