Web programming tools (Dan Shafer)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 3 18:00:12 EDT 2003

Pierre Sahores wrote:

> Richard Gaskin a écrit :
>>
> -- snip --
>>
>> It's the larger tasks that are done repeatedly from the same machine that
>> suffer from Web-based implementations.
>>
>> And sometimes even those in the latter category can't get the perceived
>> sexiness of Web-based implementations out of their head long enough to think
>> clearly about what they're asking for.  But for those I offer this
>> challenge:
>>
>> Toss MS Word for a week and use a Web form for all word processing.
>> If anyone dared to accept such a challenge I suspect they'd run screaming
>> back to the desktop by day two.
>>

> Richard,
>
> It's just because what you are exposing there that my boss let me, now,
> build Metacard's client-side front-ends for most of the next
> internet-aware apps i will have to launch in the nexts months ;-)

Way cool!  I had hoped the pull-quote from the top of the "Beyond the
Browser" article would become a useful meme but maybe it's too minced, not
confrontational enough to be recognized as a challenge:

   "Many articles have been published extolling the virtues
    of Browser-based applications, but few (if any) of these
    were written in one..."

I'm impressed that your boss is evidently such a nimble thinker, willing to
try new things at your suggestion.   Now we just gotta make sure your
efforts are well-supported here on this list so your project can be a
shining example.  :)