Web programming tools (Dan Shafer)

andu undo at cloud9.net
Fri May 2 23:25:01 EDT 2003

--On Friday, May 02, 2003 18:12:02 -0700 Dan Shafer <dan at eclecticity.com>
wrote:

> You can escape from the ugliness of browser UIs at least three ways, none
> of which, unfortunately, involves RR/MC:
>
> 1. Use Java applets.
> 2. Use Flash.
> 3. Use Jython to create applets.
>
> Nos. 1 and 3 are similar except that 1 requires you to learn Java (which
> is hard) and 3 relies on Python (which is easy; in fact, I think it is at
> least as easy as Transcript, maybe easier, and is fully object-oriented).

The company which used to market Toolbook has renamed itself (E-learning or
something ) and now markets a "solution" probably based on toolbook scripts
and Java and of course XML. Trouble is Java and the browsers aren't getting
along any better then say 5 years ago and. I remember seeing a bid from
this x-Toolbook company in which they had different pricing (and
guarantees) for supporting more then 1 version of IE. Large companies using
Java and browsers for everyday work have to run the same version of IE (no
Gecko based browsers) on thousands of computers and upgrade them all at
once when upgrading their Java based software.
Outrageous as it sounds, they do it and pay big bucks for such "solutions".
So, the price of escaping from the ugliness of browser UIs comes at a price
greater then learning a new language.
Confusing enough? ;-)

Regards, Andu Novac