Web programming tools

Dan Shafer dan at eclecticity.com
Fri May 2 12:40:01 EDT 2003

>andu a écrit :
>>
>--snip--
>
>> My general principle is to use
>> as few components as possible to minimize the breaking points.
>
>The same here. It's the best way to build the finest apps we can provide
>to our clients.

I agree. Seamlessness is a true virtue in software. Every seam represents two bad things at the same time: a place for code to break and a place for programmers to tear out their hair.

It is hard if not impossible to avoid seams altogether and still use the best tools for each aspect of the job but I recently managed a software project that used J2EE with a single programmer and I can tell you this: such projects never get really "designed" and as a result, the componentry is strewn about the floor like so many nuts and bolts from a drunken night spent re-assembling a Harley-Davidson motorcycle in the dining room.

It's not a pretty picture.