Web programming tools

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Thu May 1 13:41:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

Personally, I give big thumbs up to PHP and MetaCard in this realm (plus
Apache, and MySQL if you need a free server database).

With MetaCard you'll keep the benefits of the scripting language, but you
will either have to generate the HTML from scripts or put PHP in the middle.
It will be harder to fiddle with the HTML, because you'll be effectively
hand-coding it, except harder.

The major advantage of PHP is that you can embed HTML in your PHP files,
giving you a much more elegant way to separate interface from code. As has
been documented in the list archives by Pierre, you can always use PHP to
talk to a MetaCard stack running in the background.

The most decisive factor will of course be your particular application, but I
recommend looking at PHP, and not necessarily scrapping MetaCard: each has
their perks in terms of elegance, and they both perform fairly well. MySQL is
probably the easiest to use and configure of the major database players, and
Apache is the way to go for web server software unless you specifically need
something else.

HTH

Brian Yennie
Chief Technology Officer