Type 2 errors

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Mon Mar 24 12:21:00 EST 2003

> My stack keeps quitting with a Type 2 error.
>
> I ran hard drive diagnostics, defragmented, and ran disk utilities.
>
> I reinstalled Metacard.
>
> The stack still quits with a Type 2 error.
>
> Can I assume the stack is corrupt?

No: this basically never happens unless you also have a backup file
(same name with a ~ as the last characer).

> And if so, is there any way to fix it without rebuilding it from
> scratch?  That would be a pretty major undertaking.

Most likely you just have a script bug that the engine isn't handling
correctly, in which case running something like the following in the
Message Box will allow you to open the stack:
lock messages; go "yourstack.mc"

Second most likely would be a problem with one or more of the images
used in the stack.  Try going directly to some other card (preferably
one without any images), or, if the images are stored externally,
moving the image files someplace where the engine can't find them
might get you around this.

Once you get the stack open, you should be able to figure out where
the problem is.  You should also try this with the 2.5 beta 6 engine
to see if it works on the unmodified stack.  If it still doesn't,
please file a bug report when you figure out what the problem is: the
engine should never crash like this unless you really do feed it bogus
data (a corrupted image, etc.).
  Regards,
    Scott