OSX console mode

andu undo at cloud9.net
Thu Mar 20 14:45:01 EST 2003

--On Thursday, March 20, 2003 19:14:21 +0100 Pierre Sahores
<psahores at easynet.fr> wrote:

> andu a écrit :
>>
>> Does anyone know how to start OSX 10.2.x in console mode, that is,
>> without the finder and all that UI.
>>
>> Regards, Andu Novac
>
> Allo Andu,
>
> I'm not sure about that because i did'nt try this for yet on my new
> IBook2.2 but the best is probably to install Darwin+XFREE86+the Fink
> ressource (Debian packages port available for both Darwin and MacOSX).

Actually I found a how-to on that in the meantime. Also found out how to
make all files and directories visible in OSX. My only need for the mac is
Photoshop+scanning+printing and my upgrade to OSX is only for better memory
management so that I can do all 3 of the above at the same time. The price,
improved patience;-).

> in beetwin : i'm searching for a good tutorial (aka a complete guide) in
> how to install both linux (simple) and XFree86 (difficult) on my just
> brought IBook 2.2. I was'nt for yet able to run XFREE because the
> ATI-Raedon 7500 not supported by the regular Debian, YellowDog or Suse
> distribs. After trying to compile the BenH 2.4.20-ben8 kernel (with
> hangs up at the pcmcia-module install) and trying to install the
> unstable issue of Debian (hanging again), i just got a Sony x86 Laptop
> for the store and removed the IBook for my prefered Linux toys ;-(
>
> Any idea ?

YellowDog 3 supposedly is out and I heard a mention about the iBook.
I use Debian on my cube and it's perfect. Try the vesa driver. Check out a
utility read-edid for getting the correct card/monitor settings. With X one
never knows.