Windows Registry again

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 19:10:00 EST 2003

>Hi Shari
>
>Look at Install Maker from clickteam. It's very cheap, even free if you
>don't mind thier add being in it.
>
>I know it's probably not what you are meant to do but I register the file
>extension every time at startup which means if the user moves the app just
>opening it will fix the file association. They probably wouldn't even think
>of moving it if you put it in the Program Files folder. Install maker can
>put shortcuts in the right spots for you.
>
>I know it's all very different from MacOS but it's quite simple and logical
>once you have done it once. You should try coming in the other direction and
>trying to get the hang of the resource fork. Yuck!
>
>Cheers
>
>Monte

Actually my fella and I talked about that.  He brought up the point
that users might move it once installed.  And I plan to write into
the startup script to check the location.  He also suggested that it
"fix" the registry entry if moved.  (My fella is an IBM high level
tech support person.)

The toughest part of cross platform programming is that we generally
think in terms of "our" platform, and expect users to adjust.  Bad
thinking.  It is we, as programmers, who must adjust our thinking to
encompass each platform, and treat users as they expect to be treated.

I know how I feel as a Mac person, when a program is obviously
Windows based, and just ported to Mac with no thought to what we
expect.  I've seen many big companies do this.  I hope not to make
that mistake.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--