Radical slowdown on one system

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 14 14:20:01 EST 2003

Of the many folks using my MC-base WebMerge product over the last two years,
I've never had a support case like this one, and am hoping some of you may
be able to offer some insight:

When I run the WebMerge tutorial here on the slowest machine I have (Win 95,
300MHz), it generates the tutoprial pages in 3.9 seconds.   I have a
customer running Win98 on a 1.7GHz maxchine and the same files take 4
minutes to process.(!)

Most of what WebMerge does is parsing and concatenating text, and of course
creating files.  Not particularly atom-splitting stuff, and I've never seen
a performance disparity even close to this.

I've verified that we're using the same fles, have the same version of
WebMerge (using the MC 2.4.2 engine), and in all other respects his system
is far superior to the one I've been testing on.

Any clues?