MetaCard Web Browser

eric.allen.engle at justice.com eric.allen.engle at justice.com
Fri Mar 14 01:28:00 EST 2003

> Eric Engle's browser is just subject to the
limitations
> of the specific
> Metacard-HTML capabilities that were discussed several
> times on this
> list.
>
> Apart from the disability to display images

Actually the browser -does- display images and
hyperlinks work as well. However metaCard displays
those images in the same space as a single character,
e.g. "a word X another word X" where X represents a
picture (of arbitrary size), i.e. the image is a part
of a styled text field.

The other nice thing is that the hyperlinks work. You
-can- click on a link and (well, unless your subjected
to some vagary of a CGI) go to a new page. I *think*
php is supported in the protocol.

If I were to take this further I would develop a way to
autoformat the images. However since I'm not aware of a
property (this is all "just" styled text) that would
tell me how large the images are (other than parsing
the HTML source) that would not be so easy.

Another interesting tidbit: this was developed using
the MC starter kit! If MC or RR want to distribute this
feel free.

Do people think that a MC standalone web browser would
be at all useful? I actually did make one, it's not all
that difficult. Again, if MC or RR want a copy of this
just ask.

My Home Page with free online legal information
Page perso avec liens juridiques

http://www.lexnet.bravepages.com/ind.htm