Network versions of applications

Mark Talluto lists at canelasoftware.com
Wed Mar 12 00:37:01 EST 2003

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 08:43 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Without knowing more details, I would consider the following. Create a
> splashscreen app in MC which can check the server and compare the local
> client app version with the latest version on the server. If the server
> version is newer, then the splashscreen app can download the newer
> version.
>
> Next, if you're accessing a server database like MySQL, then I would
> have
> the client app call PHP pages which would then interface with the MySQL
> database. IMHO, this is easier than having to setup and debug a MySQL
> data
> connector for each client. In this way you can successfully separate
> the GUI
> (MC) from business logic (PHP and MySQL). You can later easily port the
> business logic to ASP and SQLserver or other platforms, and the GUI to
> Mac,
> Linux, and PC.
>
> -Chipp

Hey Chipp,

Turns out that my app is a standalone.  It saves the user data as
stacks.  Each user will be able to save their data to their own data
stack.  They will all have different names.  No problem there.  No SQL
database being accessed here.

My main curiosity is how to have the application (stored on server) run
over the network on the client machines.

Can the users create a shortcut to the main app and double-click?  Will
the Win server allow many people to do that?  Or do I have to have the
app send a copy of the program temporarily over to each client that
tries to use it?  Or is there another scenario that would work better?

-Mark