Network versions of applications

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Mar 11 23:46:00 EST 2003

Hi Mark,

Without knowing more details, I would consider the following. Create a
splashscreen app in MC which can check the server and compare the local
client app version with the latest version on the server. If the server
version is newer, then the splashscreen app can download the newer version.

Next, if you're accessing a server database like MySQL, then I would have
the client app call PHP pages which would then interface with the MySQL
database. IMHO, this is easier than having to setup and debug a MySQL data
connector for each client. In this way you can successfully separate the GUI
(MC) from business logic (PHP and MySQL). You can later easily port the
business logic to ASP and SQLserver or other platforms, and the GUI to Mac,
Linux, and PC.

-Chipp