mc as cgi -- ftp'ing .txt file

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 04:43:01 EST 2003

At 3:37 pm +0900 7/3/03, kweto wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Odd thing. Something seems to get lost/added to my mc-cgi scripts
>that are first typed as .txt on Windows and then ftp'ed/emailed to
>my Apache-Linux server (as .txt) , because I'm finding myself having
>to retype the whole thing (with gnu emacs) on the server.
>
>Any guesses about what's happening to the file during transit?
>Invisible characters, such as carriage returns? And, is there a safe
>way of transferring .txt files so that they stay as is?

Windows standard line ending is crlf (ASCII 13 + ASCII 10), but you
need ASCII 10 only on Unix systems.

One easy way round the problem is to type your scripts in a Metacard
field (which uses ASCII 10 on all platforms) and directly ftp from
within Metacard.

put field "cgiscript" into url
"ftp://name:password@someserver.com/somepath/somefile.mt"

Cheers