Custom cursors

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Sun Mar 2 15:03:01 EST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 "RCS" <rcs at rcsprogramming.com> wrote:

>   Is editing cursors actually working in 2.4.3? I just wasted too much time
> trying to 'tweak' some of the cursors in the "Cursors" stack of my
> application. Part of the problem is MetaCard is getting confused whose stack
> I am editing (even if I open the "Cursors" stack directly from the
> 'Components' of my stack) since MetaCard has it's own internal stack called
> "Cursors".

There are many options:
1) use a different name for your stack
2) edit the MC cursors instead of your own copy (the better option if
   you'll be redoing a resource move at any point).
3) just delete the MC "Cursors" stack.  Be sure not to save the tools
   stack in that session if you do this.  Use long names (including
   the main stack name) to do the delete and to verify that you've
   done it right.

Use the command "reset cursors" to get the new ones after editing them.

>   Aside from that, using the pencil tool is confusing. No matter what I used
> for the background, I could not get a transparent 'color' for the cursor. I
> used other cursors as a reference (using the same background they had) but
> it would not work.

Use the right mouse button to erase.  This applies to all the tools
(and RTFM, this is in the C&T stack).

> I would also like to know if anyone has successfully used
> different sized (or even 'color') cursors...we're supposed to be able to use
> any image, right?

Color cursors aren't supported because there is no standard OS support
for this on any platform (except maybe MacOS, but the API is a real
mess there if you don't store cursors in resources, which we don't).
There are several platform-specific restrictions on size, and these
are also documented in the C&T stack.
  Regards,
    Scott