Memory and Type 2 error

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu Jul 31 21:04:01 EDT 2003

> OT Question:  My computer has 128 MB RAM built in.  So I use virtual
> memory to up the ante in PPC.  But OSX seems to have no virtual memory
> to tinker with.  What happens if the computer needs more than 128 MB
> RAM?  I'm outta luck?

This is an over-simplification, but basically UNIX operating systems
have virtual memory built-in. MacOS X will first swap out memory from
other running processes, and then eventually when those resources have
been exhausted, start swapping your own app's memory too and from disk.

Things will slow down, but theoretically you have about as much extra
memory as disk space.

In the end, it works much better than virtual memory and application
settings do in OS 9.

> But as a last resort, I tried upping Metacard's memory usage from
> 10000 to 25000, and the stack finally launched.  *sigh*  Two hours on
> this.  I must have last launched this stack when I had Metacard's
> memory set to some really high number.  I think at one time I had it
> set to 75000.

Since you say it's for internal use, this may be acceptable, but if
you're looking for a suggestion, you might try breaking the stack up
into a few smaller stacks, or just keeping all of your images on disk
in a directory and use fileName properties rather than importing the
images.

Since Metacard loads the entire stack into memory, you can probably get
a ballpark figure for how much memory it needs to launch by taking the
file size and adding a few MBs.

HTH,

Brian Yennie
Chief Technology Officer