Memory and Type 2 error

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 31 20:34:01 EDT 2003

This one had me going for about two hours..... ach!

I have a stack with a lot of graphics.  It is for internal use only.
It will never be distributed.  I've worked with this stack before,
successfully.

Launched it today, and it wouldn't load.  Kept quitting with a Type 2 error.

I tried everything I could think of, to no avail.  I increased my
virtual memory settings.  I increased the cache memory settings.
(PPC)  I tried launching the stack in OSX, and it wouldn't work there
either.  Discovered that OSX has no memory settings to tinker with.

OT Question:  My computer has 128 MB RAM built in.  So I use virtual
memory to up the ante in PPC.  But OSX seems to have no virtual
memory to tinker with.  What happens if the computer needs more than
128 MB RAM?  I'm outta luck?

Back to Metacard...

Now I had learned awhile back that Metacard's memory should stay low,
I keep it at 10,000.  And it goes out and grabs extra memory if it
needs it.  This works best for programs I distribute.

But as a last resort, I tried upping Metacard's memory usage from
10000 to 25000, and the stack finally launched.  *sigh*  Two hours on
this.  I must have last launched this stack when I had Metacard's
memory set to some really high number.  I think at one time I had it
set to 75000.

It is odd that some stacks need to have the memory set very high, and
others work better when it is set low.

But I'm happy to have solved it.  Now I can get back to work :-)

Oh, and for those folks searching the archives.... I think I'll
change the subject line...

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--