Quitting takes forever

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Thu Jul 31 13:11:01 EDT 2003

on 7/31/03 11:57 AM, Shari at gypsyware at earthlink.net wrote:

> I've got a stack with a lot of big arrays.
>
> When I quit Metacard with this stack open, it takes about a minute to
> actually quit out of Metacard, you can hear the computer grinding
> away doing things.
>
> Even after, it seems that Metacard stays in memory.  Because for the
> next couple of minutes, everything I do on the computer is slooooow.
> Even simple things that are usually instantaneous.
>
> The stack doesn't have a save routine.  It doesn't do anything
> special when you quit out of it.  I've put closeStack,
> closeBackground, etc. handlers so that it doesn't call on Metacard's.
> I've emptied out the biggest globals (arrays) in the closeCard
> handler.
>
> Yet when I quit Metacard, something just grinds away in the
> background.  All the windows close, the Metacard menu bar is visible,
> and I see a blank desktop (the desktop background, but no desktop
> icons or anything), and I can hear the computer busily grinding away
> at something.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Shari C

I've had that same problem, Shari.  I hate to suggest the obvious, but have
you locked the screen and the messages?  Aside from this, it seems when I
had this problem I got results on my Mac, albeit, pre OSX system by
tinkering with virtual memory (if you have that) and other memory settings
on.

Good luck.