Standalone Builder question

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 11:06:04 EDT 2003

>But actually the reason why I decided to build
>the Win standalone on a Mac is because I'm
>facing another problem : a Win standalone
>built on an XP machine doesn't launch on
>a Win98 machine... Actually it's been built on
>an XP machine, then burned on a CD, then
>ftp transfered via Fetch on a Mac to my client
>who can't launch it after downloading it to his PC...
>We've done that before and it worked fine,
>the only difference is that there were Win98
>machines on both sides...
>
>Did anyone experience anything similar ?
>I guess something gets lost on the way, but
>I can't figure out when...
>I thought that building the Win app on Mac
>might reduce the risks to spoil the file...
>
>Of course I still have the option to snail mail
>a CD...
>
>Thanks,
>JB

JB,

I've had a problem with Win files, that I compile them, zip them,
move them to a Win machine via network, and WinZip will not open them.

I've not had a chance to test this, but I was told that if the
stack/standalone has a resource fork (which mine do), it will ball up
the works on Windows as far as zipping/unzipping.  And that the fix
is to strip the resource fork before zipping.  Not just delete the
contents, but remove the fork.

I don't know if yours simply won't launch, or if it won't unzip, but
just sharing another Mac-to-Win gotcha that bit me.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com