Buggy post url cmd - socket stays open

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 23:27:02 EDT 2003

Hello Scott and y'all,

I have a persistant problem with the "post url" syntax
of MetaCard 2.5, as I did with 2.4 as well. The client
is a MetaCard 2.5 stack with the following handler in
a button :

on mouseUp
  put "http://www.giguere.uqam.ca/" into myHost
  put myHost & "XA/MenusXApost.cgi" into myURL
  if the openSockets is empty then
    post field 1 to url myURL
    if the result is not empty
    then answer the result
    else answer it
  else
    beep
  end if
end mouseUp

The CGI program on the server-side is a
HyperCard-based CGI which performs marvelously. It
returns the minimum set of HTTP headers required by
MetaCard. The proof of this is that the first click on
the above button indeed returns what it is supposed
to. Btw, I am using Webstar 2.1 on MacOS 8.6 on the
server-side.

The problem arises after the first click of this
button. On the second and subsequent clicks of this
button, the handler beeps, e.g. the openSockets is not
empty which, IOW, means that the socket remains open
after the first click. In fact, it (the socket)
*never* closes, and this inhibits it from doing its
thing more than once.

My diagnostic, therefore, is that there is a bug in
MC's post command whereby the socket that is opened is
never closed. Please fix this *bug* by making the
socket close automatically ASAP after the reply is
received by the MC client. Or give us the new syntax
we need to *close* the open sockets ourselves.

If you disbelieve my account, then feel free to
download a copy of my client stack which exhibits this
problem :

  http://ufp.uqam.ca/MC/test_url_stuff.mc.zip

Thank you for your time and earnest work,  :)

Alain Farmer

NB: This is relatively URGENT for me. Please respond
as soon as you can [Scott]. It has nothing to do with
the interface; this is clearly an engine issue.