Controlling/comunicating w/ USB devices

tech at paynesparkman.com tech at paynesparkman.com
Fri Jul 18 09:10:02 EDT 2003

7/17/2003 11:41:15 AM, Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> More generally, has anyone yet managed to communicate
>> with a USB device in MetaCard or Rev - and if so, could they share
>> their
>> experience?
>
>I have opened a serial port implemented on a usb device, but I have not
>opened a control pipe (or whatever the usb jargon is).  I would expect
>you want to open something that looks like
>"\\.\blah-blah-usb-blah-blah" on Windows or "/dev/blah-blah-usb-blah"
>on OS X.  I have heard that some usb devices have a view that looks
>like a serial port to make tinkering easier.
>
>If you are interested in opening a serial port on a usb device, I can
>tell you more.
>
>Dar Scott

I would be very interested in this information.  Since the new Macs have eliminated the old serial port and are using internal USB modems, I'm not able to access these
modems because they don't present themselves as "MODEM:" or "PRINTER:" and those are the only options I have in MC/RR.

Payne Sparkman Mfg.
812-944-4893
shop at paynesparkman.com
http:\\www.paynesparkman.com