metacard digest, Vol 1 #707 - 16 msgs

Ray G. Miller rgmiller at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 11 19:00:00 EDT 2003

On 7/11/03 4:23 PM, Shari wrote:

 > As a rule, I do create a resource fork, and store things in it, that the
 > PPC version uses.  As I often end up compiling * many * times before I
 > am satisfied, it saves a ton of work in editing the resource fork for
 > every compile.  The info is just there.  So I would have to delete the
 > resource fork.  Would deleting the items within it, work as well as
 > deleting it, as far as creating a zip file?

Sheri,
As soon as I got to MC, I abandoned the much-loved Resource fork and
built a data-fork equivalent. I stuff all the pix (JPEGs, GIFs, etc)
with the database of these pix into one file. One such JPEG I use
contains more than 1100 pix. The time it takes to read and unwrap to get
to specific pix is hardly more than 5 to 10 millisecs than reading from
the resource fork. MC is very fast reading from disc!

I have the data-fork-creator suck all the pix (sounds or text) from a
designated folder, create the database of those pix and wrap it into one
tidy compressed file.

This keeps my stacks very clean. Only MC parts. ALL data--text, pix, and
sounds--are on disc. With a simple "viewing" stack, I can examine any
pix, sound or text; get its name for a script. Adding, deleting and
editing any one "resource" is a simple matter of opening the original,
making changes and recompressing the wrapped file.

Ray G. Miller
Turtlelips Productions
4009 Everett Ave.
Oakland, CA 94602