Resource forks

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 11 17:50:00 EDT 2003

On 7/11/03 4:23 PM, Shari wrote:

> As a rule, I do create a resource fork, and store things in it, that the
> PPC version uses.  As I often end up compiling * many * times before I
> am satisfied, it saves a ton of work in editing the resource fork for
> every compile.  The info is just there.  So I would have to delete the
> resource fork.  Would deleting the items within it, work as well as
> deleting it, as far as creating a zip file?

Scott Rossi already mentioned that deleting the contents of the resource
fork won't work. You have to actually remove the entire fork.

But I'm curious why you'd want to continue using one. Only Mac OS 9 uses
resource forks. OS X, Windows, Unix don't. Seems to me you'd save even
more work if you only had to compile one stack for all platforms.

What do you need to store in a resource fork? Images, sounds, and even
video can go directly into a stack (though I don't recommend embedding
any but the very smallest video files.) What's left? Externals have to
be placed separately on all the other platforms, so you may as well
place an OS 9 external outside the stack too.

I gave up resource forks a couple of years ago and have never needed one
since.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com