CD update...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 11 14:10:12 EDT 2003

Shari wrote:

> To ensure that some idiot does not try to run the program directly
> off the CD.  All of my programs write to themselves, or to files
> within the program's folder.  And they do this frequently.  I would
> have to rewrite the whole program to let it be run off a CD.  Much
> easier to build a mousetrap.

On some installations of XP, OS X, and others, there may not be adequate
privileges to write into the app directory.

The OS vendors recommend writing data into designated user folders.
Fortunately the locations of these can be obtained easily with MC's
specialFolderPath function, and if you're not writing your own installer
most installer packages make putting files into these directories easy.