Moving the MC IDE forward

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 11 13:40:01 EDT 2003

On 7/11/03 12:03 AM, Geoff Canyon wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what is it that the MetaCard development environment
> has that the Revolution environment doesn't?

> Or, what is it that MetaCard _doesn't_ have that can't be hidden or
 > done away with in Revolution?

The second statement is more likely on target. I can use either
environment in most cases, but there are some times when MC is easier.
The thing that MC has that Rev doesn't is, in a nutshell, simplicity.
This issue is probably of more consequence to experienced MC users than
those who come new to Revolution.

For users who are not as familiar with the capabilities of the engine,
Rev probably offers the best interface because it is so visual: the user
doesn't need to know the entire language and environment to get work
done. There are lots of palettes and libraries to help, and a lot of the
stack design can be done by simply clicking checkboxes and filling in a
few fields.

But for those who have been using MC for a long time, the extra
palettes, libraries, and interface elements can get in the way. Someone
mentioned speed, and that's a consideration too; it does take somewhat
longer for Rev's palettes to load and display their data -- noticeably
more time than the equivalent MC palettes. I can think of two examples
of how Rev slows my work, both of which I ran up against yesterday, and
which caused me to simply switch my working environment from Rev to MC
for that session.

I am porting a 4,000-card, multi-background client stack from HyperCard
to Revolution. I wanted to look at a list of all objects on a particular
card. It is impossible to see an overview of a stack this large in the
Application Overview unless you are willing to go out to lunch and maybe
have a couple of drinks while it is loading. I didn't need, or want, to
see a list of all the cards -- obviously this is a database -- I just
wanted to see the objects on the current card. It was a no-brainer; I
opened it in MC where the Control Browser showed me -- instantly, with
no delay -- only what I wanted. Rev's IDE, in this case, interfered and
slowed me down. I know there are third-party Rev tools to do what I want
(including your own control browser) but at that moment I couldn't play
with the IDE, I just needed to get the work done. Switching back to MC
was easier and a magnitude faster. (The fact that there are several
third-party control browser stacks around shows that my experience is
common and perhaps should be addressed by Runtime.)

I have a library of custom handlers that I load at startup in both MC
and Rev. One of my handlers reports the mainstacks that are currently
loaded in memory. When I run this handler in MC, there are at most only
a couple of stacks from the IDE listed, but in Rev, it is difficult to
find my own stacks among the dozens that Rev maintains. When I get
around to it, I will customize my handler to remove all the "rev" stacks
before displaying the results, but at that moment the extra info was
intrusive. I can't remove these stacks from Rev (nor do I want to)
because they are necessary to its functioning. A somewhat parallel
example is the number of custom messages that are constantly being sent
in the background by Rev. I know I can view a modified list of pending
messages from within the message box, but since MC sends no custom
messages in the background at all, MC's IDE translates to the user as
"cleaner." And again, these custom messages can't be removed from the
program.

These are very minor examples, none of which are crucial or
insurmountable. I can customize my way out of the first two of them
easily. But the lean IDE in MC has its appeal -- precisely because I
*don't* have to customize it. It just stays out of my way. I think it is
this kind of thing that causes experienced MC users to accuse Revolution
of "bloat". It is also this feeling of steamlined useability that caused
HyperCard people to accuse MetaCard of "bloat" as well. ;) Hypercard's
huge advantage is the way its own IDE remains completely out of sight
until you need it.

The most likely answer to your question is that, given human nature,
people don't easily change their habits. For myself, I find I use
Revolution far more from the message box than from within its many
palettes. It's just how I'm used to doing things, and it is much faster
because I type fast and I don't have to wait for interface elements to
load. The good news for MC users who are moving to Rev is that it works
just fine that way.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com