Smaller than milliseconds

Nelson Zink zink at newmex.com
Fri Jul 11 03:14:01 EDT 2003

Dar,

> You can collect some random bits using the long seconds, I think, but I
> don't think you want to base it on how long it takes to execute some
> code.  You might want to harvest it from operator interactions and if
> you don't have enough of those, from Internet response times.  The
> number of bits you can harvest depends on your estimate of
> predictability.

Good ideas.

As far as I know there is no calculation one can make that 'wobbles'--that
is, you always get the same answer. And healthy computers work the same way.
The result is the same, but the time to complete it isn't. Computational
results are predictable, completion time wobbles. The finer time is cut, the
greater the unpredictability. And while it may not be obvious, most events
we think of as being random are random only in the time dimension.

Nelson