Smaller than milliseconds?

Shrink2Fit at aol.com Shrink2Fit at aol.com
Thu Jul 10 18:42:00 EDT 2003

Nelson,

If you're looking for a random number generator you should check out "a
new kind of science" by stephen wolfram. They are using an automata to
generate a map that contains extremely (he claimed completely) random
sequences. This should not be a computationally intensive process and,
again according to him, gives good randomness (good enough to be the
random number generation technique used in mathematica where the audience
is made up of picky people who actually care). He mentioned this as an
aside during a lecture at xerox parc, so I suspect the full algorithm is
somewhat more complex. Interesting stuff.

YMMV.

J/

metacard at lists.runrev.com wrote on 7/10/2003 3:11 PM