MetaCard acquired - wake up call

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 9 03:32:00 EDT 2003

RCS wrote:

> It makes me realize that this technology can be pulled out from underneath
> us...I feel pretty rattled. What would happen if Apple buys this? Do you
> think they will support Windows and Linux?

Anyone who buys it will be attracted to it primarily for its platform
independence.  Given our experience with Dylan, Sk8, Newton, etc., yes, if
Apple bought it we'd need to keep an eye on them.

Fortunately in this case the buyer is a less fickle company with a vested
interest in the core asset we all rely on: a strong MC engine.

> Do you think RunRev has any more loyalty to us than Scott?

Maybe more so:  in some areas they have more ambition than Scott in terms of
markets they address, an since they rely on the engine at least as much as
any of us they need to push it further.

> There are no guarantees anywhere (what a sad
> statement!), so I don't blame Scott...but my heart sank when I read this for
> some reason. It seems like the beginning of the end, not a new beginning.
>
> It's definitely a wake-up call for me...I think I'll go see how Java is
> doing.

Who wants to spend their time watching a compiler progress bar? ;)

But seriously, I think the message that's not been stressed enough is that
for MC users nothing changes, only new options.  We get a license for Rev
for those that want to use it, and a guarantee that the MC IDE will continue
to be supported for those that don't.

In fact, the new arrangement may offer opportunities for increased
productivity for those using the MC IDE:  Scott's preference for a lean IDE
has kept his substantially unchanged for years.  A lot of us have built a
great many tools for MC, and with the new plan to turn its development over
to volunteers we have the opportunity to add extensibility options that
don't necessarily complicate the UI.

The message I get from the announcement is that MC users now have more
options, not fewer.