Say it isn't so

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jan 31 14:31:00 EST 2003

RCS wrote:

>  Do I really have to do a 'files' function, and 'walk' through all of the
>  files (possibly hundreds) in the list until I find the one I am intereted in
>  just to get the file 'type' and 'creator' on a Mac?

Well, it depends how do you know which file you are interested in. If
you know the file name up front, then you can fetch the info
directly. Otherwise, if you use some rules to determine which file is
THE one to check, then I see no other way. Of course, you may be able
to use your determination rules to either sort or search through the
list of filenames to bring those of interest to top or extract them
from the list, thus reducing your investigation to a subset of files.

Robert