Say it isn't so

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 31 13:14:01 EST 2003

RCS wrote:

> Do I really have to do a 'files' function, and 'walk' through all of the
> files (possibly hundreds) in the list until I find the one I am intereted in
> just to get the file 'type' and 'creator' on a Mac?

Not if you have a couple minutes to turn it into a one-liner:

function fwMacFileType pPath
  local tSaveDir, tShortFileName, tFileList, tLine, tType
  --
  put the directory into tSaveDir
  set the itemdel to "/"
  put the last item of pPath into tShortFileName
  delete last item of pPath
  set the directory to pPath
  put the detailed files into tFileList
  put lineoffset(cr&urlEncode(tShortFileName)&comma, cr&tFileList&comma)
into tLine
  if tLine > 0 then
    set the itemdel to comma
    put last item of line tLine of tFileList into tType
  end if
  set the directory to tSaveDir
  return tType
end fwMacFileType