It just can only get better!

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Wed Jan 29 05:17:01 EST 2003

I dont think Cerveza "Presidente" is exactly Flamable!
The rum on the other hand...
even erased my memories of the brand I drank!

> >> In the future, maybe we can make a tutorial about
> >> customizing this editor, klaus tool and the
> >> development enviroment in general!
> >> With scripts explained in excess and images of the
> >> dialogs and windows....
> >I dont see the point in that...
> >Why not just edit it? ;))
>
> Not everyone has advanced guessings powers to
> understand every code or algorithm that crosses
> in front of their eyes.

Then it's not well documented code ;))

> Even those gifted enough, (capable to load all their
> whole programming experience and the full script
> language documentation into a searchable memory),
> have their days...

True, true... ;) Shameless plug!

> >>By the way, Xavier, I still think that your editor
> >>is key to implement the use of other languages
> >>(different than english (like french, german or
> >>spanish) to code the development engine.The
> >>preferences for the language of use could be set
> >>with a pop-up button in the home stack or a menu...
>
> >This is a great idea but there is one little problem:
> >the MetaTalk parser I cannot change - it's built in
> >MC... Also, I've seen HyperTalk in French (or was it
> >applescripts) and it really sucked and made
> everything
> >much more confusing and hard to maintain. Latin
> >languages are not as nice for programming I guess.
>
> You have a point here. I understand that Latin
> languages are very verbose. Long words everywhere...
> But this work of translation is not for us.
> We already know english. Figure out, just imagine...
>
> Who could benefit more of the availability of a
> computer language similar to their mother language?

True, I see almost no mention of MetaCard in french programming
websites...

> That's only possible with a language like MetaTalk,
> in an enviroment like MetaCard.

Well, there was applescript! Note also that most programmers
use their own native language to define function and variable names...
This is hell for whoever doesn't speak the language that has to
maintain, port or compile these things... I dont want to be responsible
for encouraging this behavior... 8))

> >I could make it also translate you code into what you
> >want but the script will never compile! So I fail to
> >see the point...
>
> It's otherwise. You write in your native language and
> the editor takes care of translating to english for
> the MC engine.

That's better... it can be done... But would you start programming
in spanish to see it all translated after in English? Seems like a
waste of time. You get used to type in english, you shouldn't break
that habit I believe. It's kind of very counterproductive longterm...

> To be fair, error reporting could be a real problem,
> and parsing for valid gramatical contructions could
> add time to the error checking routines,
> but if you could write code that differenciate between
>
> functions, commands, globals, locals, properties,
> custom properties ,etc... then it's not impossible.

Would you like to try fixing "just" the "if-then" autocompletion
routines I got? It's definitely not fun... Grammar parsing is yet
another step above in programming lexical analysers than it
is parsing simple and stupid code statements...

> I'm thinking about a paired table of values
> to be replaced:
>
> For example...Only an example...
> on=al
> end=fin
> pass=pasa
> show=muestra
> hide=oculta
> very long etc...

That's easy enough...

> Array operations could take care of this sustitution
> in less than 1 second!

Depending on the code size naturally...

> >> Keep Up the good work
> >Thanks Alejandro!