loosing memory

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 15 10:12:01 EST 2003

I have a field in which I keep log of activities. The number of lines
is fixed -- as a new line is added on top, a line is deleted on the
bottom. In essence:

delete last line of fld "log"
put txt & return before fld "log"

MC 2.4.3 keeps adding* 0.4-0.5 mb of ram for each such a log entry,
eventually using up all free memory and crashing the server. To make
things confusing, when I take the same function and run it in a test
stack, the same memory loss is not occuring.

The function does a few other things (like appending the log entry to
the file), but commenting out the lines that write to the visible
field eliminates the memory loss (commenting out the file writing
code makes no change).

Anyone has any ideas what might be going on?

Robert Brenstein

*) This is under Mac OS Classic, so "adding" means that the total
memory partition allocated to MC keeps increasing at th expense of
free memory.