MC front end to PostgreSQL

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Thu Jan 9 15:51:01 EST 2003

Allo Sadhu and a happy new year to you and yours,

Sadhunathan Nadesan a écrit :

> | Yes ! I'm building such Metacard based client apps and, with a back-end
> | database server available (PostgreSQL, for me), you can do same in using
> | (in addition to the server-side code we spoken about some weeks ago in
> | this thread) such kind of code to do this client speak with the back-end
> | server in using the "POST" method :
> |
> |     put "&SQL=" & urlencode(fld "Request") into larequete
> |     put "id1=data1&id2=data2&id3=data3" & larequete into retour
> |     set httpheaders to "Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
> | & return
> |     post retour to url (fld "csrecents" of cd 2 & "wmc.xml")
> |
> | where id1, id2 and id3 are contextual parameters and the field "Request"
> | can hold a direct SQL query or client-side fields contents to be passed
> | to the database server trought the metacard server-side cgi or was.
>
> Bonjour Pierre,
>
> Awesome!  I really want to try something like that.  About a month ago
> (but I have been too busy to follow up) Swami sent us a message with a
> similar idea and we want to try it on a PostgreSQL data base I have
> running now (contents, url's of audio files on assorted topics)
> which has a query form but the only maintenance is by
> hand, SQL.  Swami wants to build an MC client front end that combines
> search and play.  I want to build an administrator's front end for
> add/inquire/modify/delete.  It seems like this would be possible.

The best, in my mind, would be to build a general purpose example app,
directly descibed and shared on the Metacard list, to let evryone become
able to understand how the purposed technology works and how to reuse it
to build, from scratch,
other kinds of dedicated apps.

If you are ok about this, i could contribute to this commun effort in
converting an existing AddressBook stack in a client-server
AdressBook stuff, in using, on the client-side, a standard desktop
dedicated AdressBook stack converted in a Metacard-based AdressBook
front-end and, on the server-side, a PostgeSQL-based AdressBook
back-end.

I can't, for my how, open and share an access to the production servers
(including an access to PostgreSQL), because the servers i'm working on
are howned by private companies or administrations.

What we need, at this point, is (1) to find a fine free and reusable
AddressBook stack on top of witch we could add the client-server layer
code
and (2) a free hosted access to a PostgreSQL enabled server (including
the right to install mc as a cgi engine or, best, as a web application
server deamon (startable and rebootable trough SSH only, for security
reasons). Could you
find an host interested in supporting this part of the project ?

> The query page is at
>
> http://www.gurudeva.dynip.com/~htoday/talks/talksearch.html

I seen it. It's a nice stuff !

> The CGI part does something similar to what your book app does, they
> are MC scripts composing SQL and calling as shell commands.

-- snip --