MC front end to PostgreSQL

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Wed Jan 8 19:00:01 EST 2003

| Yes ! I'm building such Metacard based client apps and, with a back-end
| database server available (PostgreSQL, for me), you can do same in using
| (in addition to the server-side code we spoken about some weeks ago in
| this thread) such kind of code to do this client speak with the back-end
| server in using the "POST" method :
|
|     put "&SQL=" & urlencode(fld "Request") into larequete
|     put "id1=data1&id2=data2&id3=data3" & larequete into retour
|     set httpheaders to "Content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
| & return
|     post retour to url (fld "csrecents" of cd 2 & "wmc.xml")
|
| where id1, id2 and id3 are contextual parameters and the field "Request"
| can hold a direct SQL query or client-side fields contents to be passed
| to the database server trought the metacard server-side cgi or was.

Bonjour Pierre,

Awesome!  I really want to try something like that.  About a month ago
(but I have been too busy to follow up) Swami sent us a message with a
similar idea and we want to try it on a PostgreSQL data base I have
running now (contents, url's of audio files on assorted topics)
which has a query form but the only maintenance is by
hand, SQL.  Swami wants to build an MC client front end that combines
search and play.  I want to build an administrator's front end for
add/inquire/modify/delete.  It seems like this would be possible.

The query page is at

http://www.gurudeva.dynip.com/~htoday/talks/talksearch.html

The CGI part does something similar to what your book app does, they
are MC scripts composing SQL and calling as shell commands.

So anywhoo, will probably take some of the discussion off list but we sure
would appreciate any hints from you.  I have an email at home from
Swami that I will reply to later (be out of town tomorrow).

Merci!
Sadhu