Player and Field

Jeanpaulpoccard at aol.com Jeanpaulpoccard at aol.com
Fri Jan 3 17:35:01 EST 2003

Bonjour,

On 12/25/02 7:36 AM, Vikram Singh wrote:
<<I try typing a sentence in a field; the card also has a player. On pressing
the Space Bar the player starts/stops. Is there a way to avoid this.>>

I met the same problem some days later, and  I ask the same question .
I wish my pupils to build their own pages of a multimedia journal and of
course they will first display their  pictures or movies and then write their
own comments.

Waiting for an elegant solution, this is the  crooked  solution I have
adopted:

My stack keeps an eye on the keyboard,
If the spacebar is hit and the target is a field, then a delayed message is
sent to the stack.
the delay (2 ticks seem to be sufficient) allows the field to catch the
character and display the space char.

The message is caught by a driver which tells to all the players on the card
to stop and go one step back.

The result is not perfect, but typing in fields close to players is  far less
uncomfortable than  without this crutch.

I tested it with 3 player objects on the same card and I found that typing
was not noticeably perturbed.
A problem remains, a brief noise can be heared before Quicktime is told to
stop reading its sound track.

Cordialement,
Jean-Paul.