Export text from tabbed field

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jan 3 08:41:01 EST 2003

>>Signe Marie Sanne wrote:
>>
>>>  Is it possible to export a field with fixed tab stops to a text file
>>>  with the tab stops being maintained in the file? I have used: put fld
>>>  1 into url tUrl.
>>
>>Try:
>>
>>   put fld 1 into url ("file:"&tUrl)
>
>Thanks for the prompt reply.
>I already had "file" implemented in the path (just omitted it in my
>posting). The text file (both in Word and plain text) shows tabs,
>but instead of being placed in a fixed place, the tabs all seem to
>just introduce a certain number of spaces where the tab stops are,
>but since the text in each column varies, the original columns in
>the fields are not maintained. Other clues?

That is normal. A tab is simply a character that says
hop-to-the-next-tab-stop. What that means is dependent on the program
opening the file. Word by default has typewriter tabs
(evenly-spaced). If you select the text and set custom tabs, then you
get the columnar alignment that you seem to expect, although it may
still may not work as you expect if some text is long enough that
requires wrapping. In that case, you can use the convert text to
table tool which will use tabs to break each line into cells of a
table.

Robert