Norton Internet Security (NIS) and Post failure

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 02:55:01 EST 2003

At 12:06 am -0500 7/2/03, Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:
>This problem was already mentioned either on this or Rev list by Rich Herz
>
>>There are problems with MC access to internet with Norton
>>Internet Security (NIS) installed on Win XP. NIS must
>>be uninstalled, not merely turned off.
>--
>>  NIS on Win 98 seems to be working OK.
>>Rich Herz
>
>We are also badly hit by this issue.
>Our users with windows XP and NIS installed  can't send post command
>from MC. Sometimes Norton askes for permision to allow MC stanalone
>to work but then blocks it anyway.
>
>I really hope somebody have a solution for this
>
>MetaCard 2.4.3, post command used either with libUrl 1.0.8b1 or with
>our own costume function with post

Have you tried with the latest 2.5 beta engine?

I have no direct experience of NIS, but know that other users also
had problems with XP's built-in personal firewall. I tested the 2.5
engine with the built-in firewall and it works on my XP machine here.

A stab in the dark but... are you up-to-date with all the XP updates
(SP1 + all those security patches)? I'm saying this because at one
point, with MC 2.4.3, I was unable to connect to a server on
localhost, but discovered recently that I can now do this (with both
2.4.3 and 2.5B). XP updates are the only things I can think of that
have changed on the machine.

Cheers
Dave