copying files

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Feb 4 13:31:01 EST 2003

JR,

To call AppleScripts from MC, you basically put together the script that way
it should look in Script Editor, and then send it as a string using the "do"
command. Here's a simple example that activates the Finder:

on ActivateFinder
  put "tell application " & quote & "Finder" & quote & cr & \
    "activate" & cr & "end tell" into tScript
  do tScript as AppleScript
end ActivateFinder

Results coming back from AppleScript (for example if you do a "get" in the
Script Editor it results show up in the Result Window of the Script Editor)
you can get back by checking "the result" of the "do" command. For example,
this script "gets" the word "Hello" and you can see it in MC:

on ActivateFinder
  put "tell application " & quote & "Finder" & quote & cr & \
    "get" && quote & "Hello" & quote & cr & "end tell" into tScript
  do tScript as AppleScript
  answer the result  -- answers "Hello"
end ActivateFinder

As far as paths are concerned, the answer is "yes", you should convert "/"
delimited paths to ":" ones for AppleScript to be able to use them.
Additionally, you'll need to add the name of the hard drive to the path, so
if your "/"-delimited path was:

   /Users/kenray/applications/MyApp.app

and the name of your HD was "Hard Drive", you'd need to convert it to:

  Hard Drive:Users:kenray:applications:MyApp.app

To get the name of the hard disk, you can get (line 1 of the drives).

Hope this helps,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com