Player messages

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Dec 20 19:47:58 EST 2003

On 12/20/03 6:15 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

>>Brian's suggested method works (bravo!) It is simple and I'm
>>embarrassed I didn't think of it myself, though I claim frustration and
>>lost time as an excuse. Here's what I did:
>>
>>   put the duration of player 1 into theDur
>>   put (theDur/the timeScale of player 1) into theSecs
>>   start player 1
>>   send "movieStop" to me in theSecs seconds
>>
>>And then there is a "movieStop" handler like this:
>>
>>on movieStop
>> playNextSegment -- includes the above script bit
>>end movieStop
>>
>>So I'm back in business. I've bug reported the problem though.
>

> Hi Jacqueline:
>
> Just curious if you ever found a reliable time/loop workaround for audio
> playback.  I just tried building an MC 2.5 standalone on OSX using the
> following overkill tracking script and it seems to loop the player (4 second
> AIFF file) relatively seamlessly.
>
> [button script]
>
> on mouseUp
>   if the paused of player 1 then
>     set the uAllowTrack of me to true
>     set the looping of player 1 to true
>     start player 1
>     trackTime
>   else
>     set the uAllowTrack of me to false
>     stop player 1
>     set the currentTime of player 1 to 0
>   end if
> end mouseUp
>
> on trackTime
>   if not the uAllowTrack of me then exit trackTime
>   if the currentTime of player 1  = the duration of player 1 then \
>     start player 1
>   send "trackTime" to me in 10 milliseconds
> end trackTime
>
> Curious to know what you've found.

I ended up with something almost identical to what you did above. In the
standalone I was working on, I didn't actually need looping, though I
used that in my posts to show the bug. I really did want a short pause
between each movie. Still, the solution was very similar to what you're
doing. I had to send a repeated message every few milliseconds to check
whether the movie was playing or not. If not, I loaded the next movie.
If so, I just kept checking until it did stop.

I don't see any way around this until they fix "playstopped".
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com