Message passing in the IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Dec 13 13:15:15 EST 2003

In working on my own tools I've found cases where the MC IDE's habit of not
passing system messages annoys.  For example, the newTool message is not
passed, but after modifying MC to pass the message it allows me to have my
own tools that update themselves from their own frontscripts without any
side effects.

I'm inclined to make this message-passing a part of the IDE, with at least
the newool and selectedObjectChanged messages.

Can you think of any reason not to pass such messages?

Can you think of any other messages trapped in the MC IDE frontscript that
should be passed?  Any side effects from passing those?