Multiple sounds playing at once - how?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Dec 4 13:23:27 EST 2003

On 12/4/03 1:08 PM, "Karl Becker" <karl at karlbecker.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for suggestions on how to get multiple sounds to play at
> once using MetaCard 2.4.3.

There is no native option other than player objects (which you claim eat up
processor time but if you're making a game, I'm not sure why that's a
problem).  It's a sad state of affairs.

One thing you might try is using a combination of one player and imported
sounds.  If you want a sound to loop seamlessly (often difficult if not
impossible in MC/Rev), you must use an imported sound for this since players
will not loop seamlessly.  If you can accommodate a pause between loops,
then players should be fine.  You might also try using WAV formatted sounds
instead of AIFF.

If you are developing for Mac OS only and for systems lower than OSX, you
could use SndChannel, a HyperCard external that was developed in the 90's
and should still work in MC through OS9.  This will play as many channels as
can be accommodated by memory.  Unfortunately, there's no modern day
equivalent.

Regarding players and processor issues, have you tried setting the fileName
of player objects to empty in between playing sounds?  Also, are you using
the latest version of QT?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director