Multiple sounds playing at once - how?

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Thu Dec 4 15:08:21 EST 2003

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get multiple sounds to play at
once using MetaCard 2.4.3.

I currently use the play command (play audioClip, specifically) to play
AIFF sounds.  I had used the play videoClip command in many past
projects, letting my file size be smaller by using QuickTime
compression codecs to compress my sounds, but I just found out when
developing my golf game that playing a video clip introduces a
significant stutter of the MetaCard engine both when I start and finish
a "play videoClip" command.

I would love to just have a few player objects and have them play for
different things (one for the bounce of my ball, another player for
crowd noise, another for the line judge, etc.), but whenever I have
even one player object in my stack, my stack seems to degrade pretty
bad over time, eating up more and more and more processor.  That's just
with even one player.  Even with one player right away, it just seems
to eat up a huge amount of processor - and this is on a relatively
speedy 800 MHz G4.

Anyone have any ideas for me?  Any way to reproduce (easily) the
soundchannels of HyperCard?

(apologies for bringing up HyperCard  ;-)  )

Thanks,
Karl