MC IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 25 05:38:00 EDT 2003

Monte Goulding wrote:

> If Revolution were modified so that only the basic functionality was
> implemented in the IDE and all other features were implemented as modules
> that could be turned off would that satisfy everyone? If so, perhaps we
> could develop a proposal for RunRev to implement such a design.

There's a "Suspend IDE" switch already, and I suppose one could then
transmogrify the MC IDE to act as a plugin, or a set of plugins -- but when
you're done all you have is what you started with, less the time it took you
to get there. ;)

I'd rather not saddle RunRev with extra stuff like that, especially given
that the few who want such a thing already have one.

I'd much rather see RunRev stay focused on extending the language and native
object model.

IDEs are not all that interesting, but cool stuff I can do for customers is,
and indeed why I bought into the language.