Hefty new fees?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Aug 22 12:06:01 EDT 2003

On 8/22/03 9:21 AM, Shari wrote:

> [NOTE:  I know these discussions have pretty well ended.  I wrote this
> back when we were all discussing the big changes.  But before sending
> it, I wrote to Kevin.  I did not want to open a big discussion, without
> first verifying what I read on his website.  That I understood it
> correctly.  I was hoping that he would offer some good news, and that I
> had misunderstood.  I've yet to hear from him.

He's been on a well-deserved vacation and likely away from email. But
Kevin isn't the person to write to about licensing issues anyway. Write
to Heather with questions about licensing.

> According to the licensing info on the RunRev website, to purchase a
> license that allows you to develop on multiple platforms would cost
> $1200, with renewals of $400 per year.  But what happens if you do not
> renew every year?  Is it $1200 again?  That's how it appears.

 From what I have gathered in responses to this list, you can continue
with your current MetaCard licensing schedule. You do not have to
purchase Rev as a new user; MC users have been grandfathered in. If you
decide to take advantage of the August discount, I believe your extra
yearly renewal will be added to the end of your current licensing period
-- so you don't lose any time off your current MC license. Heather has
made some comments on the list about it, so you might want to do a
search of the archives. Or better, just write to her and ask what terms
and conditions you, specifically, could expect in your situation.

For MetaCard, if you let your renewals lapse, you also had to pay the
full $1000 cost if you decided to start up again (as I understand it; I
never let it happen.) So there isn't much difference with Rev if you
decide not to renew for a year or two; you'd have to start over. It is
cheaper to keep your renewals up to date if you plan to continue using
the product.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com