MC vs LabVIEW (was Passing keypress messages to other applications)

Newendorp Bruce C NewendorpBruceC at JohnDeere.com
Tue Aug 19 16:07:01 EDT 2003

******
This does not apply to your question.  I like Ken's answer.

I am curious.  Did you chose MetaCard over LabVIEW from NI?  Or where
you already down the MetaCard path?  Or did you completely ignore the
existence of LaVIEW?

I like LabVIEW, though I don't like recent changes.  I want
multiplatform, which is OK on LabVIEW but, for me, expensive with
LabVIEW.  I hope to eventually build up a labVIEW-like capability using
Revolution where I get all platforms (with the level I bought).

Dar Scott
******

Dar,

The end product of my MetaCard work is simulations of new displays as they are developed for future machines.  The simulations allow us to prototype future devices so the concept can be evaluated before hardware or embedded software is started.  I considered LabView about 7 years ago when we had to replace our Macs (I used SuperCard) with Windows PC's - but decided MetaCard would meet my needs better.  I really need something with programming capabilities and did not feel LabView had the flexibility do what I needed.  All of the stuff I do is operated with on screen buttons initially and then as the project progresses, I usually mockup at least some portion of the physical controls and connect them to the simulation through the NI data card.

I have not used sockets before and will research what it takes to make them work for this.

Bruce