Unified Revolution

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Aug 15 23:17:00 EDT 2003

Dear Rev-carders,

It's been bugging me for quite some time that the Rev/MetaCard
community lacks central resources. As fantastic as the discussion lists
are (and they are good ones), there's no one way to find an answer,
obtain an external, submit something you wrote, etc, etc. A few list
members have taken the time to provide resources online- Ken and
Richard for starters have excellent stuff available on their sites. I,
for one, do not, simply because I don't have the time to create a site
just for that purpose.

So here's the question: how can we, as the user base for Rev/Metacard,
create a central resource that serves all of us, promotes development
of useful resources, and brings glory to RunRev?

What I would really love to see is an open source project that
incorporates several things at once:

1) The now open-source Metacard IDE and any other alternative IDEs
(i.e. FreeCard)

2) Open-source externals (i.e. custom controls, movie editing, etc)

3) Open-source plugins (i.e. RevNet)

4) Open-source stacks, widgets & scripts (i.e. libSMTP, libURL, etc)

The LAST thing I would want this to be would be a free-for-all. We
would need people to take on roles in managing these projects. Projects
would have to be approved, and code would have to be submitted. All of
the best practices of other open source projects would potentially
apply.

Would anyone else like to see this kind of organized effort? Who could
actually contribute to running the entity (as opposed to submitting
code)?

Would we elect a board? Would this make a difference?

Brian Yennie
Chief Technology Officer
QLD Learning, LLC
(904)-997-0212