Script Limits

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Fri Aug 8 09:12:05 EDT 2003

> Richard, what you suggest are all workabouts. And the fact that this
> groups is 100% against the change does not mean it will not go into
> effect. This issue barely caused a blink on Rev list and that is
> where majority of Rev users are. We are soon to be a true minority
> and our interest in retaining MC as it was will make us dinosaurs :(

Same feeling here...    :(

BTW could someone eventually post Shari's informal poll to the
Rev list ? I'm not on the Rev list myself...

And BTW again, did anyone contact Kevin privately about this
script limit thing, as suggested in his original message ?
And did anyone get an answer ?
I'm not so interested in the content of the answer, but much more in
knowing if any answer has been received...

JB

PS: if such big differences exists between MC and Rev users,
why don't we (MC users) get organised as an (informal) think
tank / users union, in order to provide RR with smart criticism,
wise suggestions and even source code in order to improve the
MC engine, in exchange for free (or lower prices on) licences ?
Yes, I know, it's a weird mix between naive hippie idealism and
open source philosophy, and it certainly needs to be improved,
but well it doesn't cost anything (except some bandwidth) to
post it...
According to recent messages on this list, if things at RR
evolve the wrong way, it seems that many of us won't upgrade
to Rev and will switch to another tool... So at first glance it
looks like each side would gain from that :
- Rev would have a bunch of pro / experienced beta testers /
critics / contributors / whatever
- we would keep our favorite tool and watch it evolve in ways
we like
- MC/Rev will improve and be a strong competitor (for Director
etc) and eventually attract new users, which means more market
shares for Rev...

Of course, these contributions would rather concern the
engine than the GUI...
And since I didn't spend more than 5 minutes on this idea,
there are certainly numerous flaws that everyone will be
happy to point out...