An informal poll....

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Aug 8 08:14:01 EDT 2003

>BTW I think one should extend the poll to Rev list...
>I'm wondering if the responses would be similar...

I am very sure that the results will be quite different. My feeling
is that dynamic scripting is not something that beginners and
hobbysts use much. MC was strongly geared to "professional"
developers (whatever that means) whereas Rev went after masses. There
was an interesting post by Dan Schafer on Rev list regarding that (I
duplicate it below for those who don't subscribe to Rev list). He
makes good points and I really think that this is how Rev sees
things. Unfortunately, I also think that this means a slow death of
Rev as a pro developer tool, although it will continue as a more
powerful and more feature-rich hypercard reincarnation. Of course, it
does not have to be that way if Rev sees the light. But the changing
of script limits, talk about adding smade-with splash, the recent
product lineup changes clearly indicate that they are after selling
more licenses than worrying about developers producing quality
standalone products for distribution to others (paid or not).

Robert Brenstein