Script limit - clarify please

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Aug 7 18:15:01 EDT 2003

> What exactly does all of this mean anyway? I cannot
> distinguish between rumor and fact:
>
> - Scott promises the MetaCard IDE will always work with the
> Revolution engine. Is this his 'wish' or is this in writing somewhere.

This is in writing; Rev has stated that publicly that they will continue
to allow the MC IDE to continue to work with the new Rev engine.

> - Revolution promises that the Revolution engine will work
> with the MetaCard IDE. I see no time frame here. My MetaCard
> engine could be broken with the next update to Windows or
> OSX...maybe next week?

No, and there's no need for a time frame... it's the *same engine*, just
given a new name. When they add features to it for the benefit of Rev
users, MC users who wish to continue with the MC IDE can just drop in
the new engine and go.

> - Scott promises that the MetaCard IDE is 'open source'.
> Wasn't it always?

No, it was carefully controlled by Scott; any changes you made were for
your self and you couldn't make a new version of the MC IDE available
for people to download. Now as open source, a number of us can work
together to make changes to the IDE and post those changes for download
and incorporation.

> - Scott Raney works 'for' Revolution.
> I doubt that.

Well, his email address is now "scott at runrev.com". Sounds like he works
for them to me.

> - Revolution takes orders from Scott.
> I doubt that too.

Scott is working with Tuviah at RunRev to increase the capabilities of
the product. The direction/marketing/etc. of the product is up to Kevin
and others at RunRev.

> This is what I have interpereted from all of this (and my
> general 'gut'
> feeling):
>
> The MetaCard IDE is open source (a lot of good that does for
> me...really).

Maybe not; it depends on how you choose to invest your time.

> The MetaCard IDE depends on several features
> that Revolution is taking out (or deciding to).

No, as long as what "Rev takes out" is not reflected by anything in the
IDE. For example, if they chose to remove the "popup button" style from
buttons (which of course it not going to happen), the MC properties
palette would need to be adjusted to match. However in the
short-to-medium term, it looks like the things RunRev is taking OUT is
almost nil. Discussions about removing the scriptlimits has been the
only thing so far, and that wouldn't affect the IDE.

> Revolution
> will NOT maintain the MetaCard engine (i.e. to be compatible
> with the Revolution changes). Revolution will NOT update the
> MetaCard engine with bug fixes, even for current license
> holders.

No, since the "MetaCard engine" is really the "Revolution engine". Rev
won't maintain the MC *IDE*, but the underlying engine is what is being
enhanced by RunRev and will continue to be avialble for MC users (as I
described above).

> There is NO upgrade path for current MetaCard users
> (current license).

Also wrong. You can switch over to Rev when it comes time to renew what
would be your MC license; at the time of renewal, you get Rev instead.
At that time, you can choose to use the Rev IDE, or continue to use the
MC IDE... your choice.

> Scott Raney is on a beach
> somewhere...never to be heard from again.

Nope; he's working on the MC/Rev engine, and has posted to the list
several times.

> Am I close?

Sorry, not by a long shot...

Ken Ray